Sunday, August 20, 2006

RIP Joseph Hill (Culture)

Sad news. The leader/singer/songwriter of the reggae band Culture died on Saturday. I spend many an evening in college listening to him wail and plead and cry his heart out on albums like International Herb and Two Sevens Clash. Even though I had the privilege to see other 70's luminaries like Lee Perry, Burning Spear and Gregory Isaacs all recently, Culture was another band on my list who I'd wanted to see. Though they might continue without him, it just won't be the same without Hill at the helm of this group.

Some details from a Jamaican Observer article. Also, there's a 2003 article about the group from my zine and you can see other details at the official Culture website.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brother, my heart is in deep sorrow and i am not sure what else will come. Culture has been i and i inspiration thru tough and good times. I hope his band will one more tour the earth as a remembrance to our hero.

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home