Sunday, August 27, 2006

Untitled Musical Project- what's in a name?

What do Charles Mingus, Minutemen, Anal C*nt and Kid 606 have in common? They all know the power of a good song title. Some performers go even further and figure out a great moniker for themselves. Depending on how you feel, you might say that a certain Birmingham UK band either have a brilliant or disasterous name: Untitled Musical Project. I think it's pretty nifty myself, especially when you consider another fine band that loaded itself up with irony in its name: the Pop Group. Also think of the non-rootsy Austin bands who think that goth sentences pass for band names: And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Our Dead or I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness (makes you wonder how or why they let Spoon stay in town).

But going back to UMP, they impress me not just because they really sound like a bunch of pisse-off punk rockers but also because they spit out their words so fast that they might as well be rapping or at least doing dancehall music. As much as I have a soft spot for mall punk (Green Day, Blink-182), I do admit that I also like a real jolt of unapolegtic noise that harks back to ye olde punk days and that's just what UMP do so well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home