Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Eminem- sweet dreams

Though he's sure to turn it into fodder for his next record, Enimem's drug problem is no joke. Since it involved sleep medication, it's not surely not as easily to peg it as part of the live-fast myth if he'd turned to harder drugs instead. I'll be that some people are bewildered to hear that of all things, it was some No-Doz type pills that laid him out for now but the fact of the matter is that there are millions of people who have similar problems. I know 'cause I'm one of them.

Recent studies have shown that America is a nation of walking zombies, meaning that most of us don't get the eight hours of sleep a night that we need. Reasons include everything from stress to diet to body chemistry to living conditions to financial problems to... just about anything else you can imagine that doesn't let us forget everything, shut down our brain and rest.

My own problem was that my office moved so my commute changed and I had to get up eariler: it took me a long time to adjust to this and I usually had to take a nap on the train ride to or from work just so I wasn't a wreck otherwise (which I later found wasn't a good idea). I took sips of Nyquil to help me go to sleep earlier but when I found I was doing that daily, I was alarmed that I was forming a bad habit, addiction or not. I had tried melatonin but found that it was much too potent- even a sliver of a pill would knock me out so badly, I could barely wake up in the morning. I've pretty much settled into a good sleep routine (for now I hope) but as I said, it wasn't easy.

But what about everyone else with the same problem? There's unsettling recent reports like this: Insomnia can cause depression. Even more to the point, it seems that Mr. Matthers isn't alone: Addictive Sleep Medications Remain Popular. Let the customer behave when getting perscriptions.

For help, I'd recommend Webmd insomnia treatments and this Well site offers some good recommendations too. And obviously if you're still having problems, it's time to see an MD but make sure you know what kind of meds you're getting.

Back to M though, I hope he gets over this and can continue on. Other than work its way into his raps (as it surely will), it'd be great if he himself can make some kind of public statement on behalf of all us zombies out there and this very real problem.

Goodnight folks...

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott Soriano said...

I can totally relate to this: I have long had sleeping problems and have used things to get me to konk out (a shot of scotch, the hippie sleep aids, even mexican xanex). I finally found something that works: Stretching & deep breathing before bed and regular excersize. Doesnt work all the time but works enough and with none of the drawbacks of the aforementioned.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Perfect Sound Forever said...

A recent Harvard Study also includes more details about the effects of sleep deprivation. It ain't a pretty picture: problems include not just memory difficulty but also obesity and reduced immunity to disease.

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home